Friday, June 7, 2013

Hometown Adventures - Jellyfish


I know what you’re thinking –another Pan-Asian sushi spot with a funky name in the Gold Coast? Well, yes.  Jellyfish’s premier location on Rush Street automatically makes it a place to people watch and be seen. The entrance to Jellyfish is up a flight of stairs (or quick elevator ride) illuminated by blue lights.
climbing up the staircase! 
Jellyfish definitely has trendy décor down with plush couches, dim lighting and waitresses in tight blue dresses. The best dining area is in the room that overlooks Rush Street. Small booths line the wall, and larger, group seating is closer to the window. Both options offer great views and ambience that is suitable for a romantic date, girl’s night out or a family dinner (in my case).
the inside 
The service at Jellyfish is average, and with the exception of one menu item never arriving, I had no complaints. Vegetarians will rejoice with the number of veggie-friendly items on the menu. Vegetarian sushi is usually thrown together randomly, and I was extremely pleased with the options at Jellyfish. The Crazy Veggie roll is a tasty combination of tempura asparagus, mushrooms, cucumbers, kampyo and avocado. The Rainbow Roll was a classic mixture of tuna, shrimp, salmon, white fish, crab and avocado and I would definitely order it again. The fish was plump, fresh and sliced perfectly. I asked for Jellyfish’s most popular roll, The Volcano, and was pleasantly surprised. The roll consists of scallops, shrimp, avocado, cucumber and hot sauce. I could have done without the glop on top, but it was an interesting combination of flavors.
everything is blue!
Since I visited Jellyfish a few weeks ago, the menu has changed a bit so not all the food items I ordered are still on the menu. I don’t think either hot appetizer we ordered is still available, even though the salmon skewer and shrimp were delicious. The shrimp came with all the antennae strewn across the place, which was less than appetizing, but I think Jellyfish is still working out some kinks on the menu. My party and I ordered three desserts, and the only one still on the dessert list is the Mochi. I can’t say for sure if Jellyfish makes the Mochi in house, but there wasn’t anything spectacular about it.

Jellyfish is becoming a popular late night option for drinks and I can see why with the intimate setting and clever, underwater feel at the bar. The food may not be out of this world or especially inventive, but the ambience and prime location will surely make Jellyfish one of the most popular places to dine this summer.


Find me:
1009 N Rush St
(between Bellevue Pl & Oak St)
Chicago, IL 60611

1 comment: