Friday, May 3, 2013

Hometown Adventures


In my new weekly feature, Hometown Adventures, I’ll focus on great places to eat, have fun, and explore in Chicago!

I get a little down when I don’t have any trips planned. I know it’s not always possible to have an international journey planned so sometimes I have to remind myself that I already live in great city—Chicago!
typical Chicago weather
There’s always something going on here and I’ll be honest, I don’t always take advantage of it. I've lived here on and off for 9 years, and sometimes I just have to rekindle my romance with Chicago a bit. It's a great city with so much going on. 

Chicago is a different city when the when the weather is warm. Come summer the city doesn’t sleep. It’s cold for a good nine months out of the year, so I open my windows and put on my flip-flops at the first sign of warmth.

Lake Michigan is perfect for swimming, kayaking, boating, or just a leisurely day with friends. Yesterday was the warmest night I’ve experienced in months so I took a nice walk down by the lake.

sunset at the harbor
Just seeing the skyline sparkle at night is all I need to remind myself that I live somewhere truly special. I’m not a nature girl and I much prefer a concrete jungle to grass and trees. But that’s the great thing about the Midwest; you can drive a half hour out of the city and get all the greenery you want or stay local and with the sounds and sights of the city.
Oak Street Beach at night
Summers in Chicago are all about outdoor music festivals, farmer’s markets, and spending time at the beach. Chicagoans wait all year for that first warm day and as soon as it happens there’s no excuse not to make the most of this great city. Stay tuned for more great ideas on how to make the most out of living in Chicago. 
an amazing view from up above

No comments:

Post a Comment