Sunday, May 19, 2013

Dream Destination - Yanni Live in Concert


I love Yanni. Being Greek, it feels very natural. My roommate in college even bought me a poster of his face for our dorm room wall. For those of you not familiar with Yanni, he is a Greek instrumental musical artist. Yanni is known for having concerts at major historical spots like the Acropolis, the Taj Mahal, China’s Forbidden City and the Burj Khalifa. When I was a gymnast my floor routine music was his song Santorini. Did you know that Yanni Live at the Acropolis is the second highest selling video being Michael Jackson’s Thriller? Clearly, I’m not the only Yanni fan out there!
sooo good! give it a listen!
I want to hear Yanni live in concert in Greece. Of course I don’t know for a fact that he will ever return there, but he tours a lot and I can dream! In the early nineties my parents bought his albums and we would listen to it at the dinner table on a regular basis. I love his music because it is soothing and beautiful. It brings me back to sitting with my family at dinner and the smell of my Mom’s cooking filling up the kitchen.

that mustache!
When I visited Greece with my parents many years ago I remember visiting the Acropolis in Athens and standing in awe for several reasons. I was obviously impressed by the structure and the fact that I was in front of a historical place I had only seen in pictures, but also I was where Yanni had recorded Yanni Live at the Acropolis! (He played at the theatre The Odeon of Herodes Atticus.) I thought of how magical that concert must have been and how everyone there must have felt very special to be there. 
the ultimate concert
I would be happy to attend any Yanni concert, but seeing him in Greece would be incredible. Especially if he played outdoors. And John Stamos was my date. I imagine the warm breeze on my face, the lights of the city around me, and nostalgia taking over as he plays my favorite hits.

1 comment:

  1. He doesn't hold a candle to Yablo, Master of the Ocarina.

    ReplyDelete