Sunday, May 26, 2013

Dream Destination - Tokyo


Having passed through the Haneda and Narita airport for layovers, I feel like Japan is begging me to visit. In just the few hours I spent in the airport I fell in love with the culture. Even the airport shops had me hooked! There were rows of Hello Kitty trinkets, handmade gifts and accessories that I could never find in Chicago. Plus the food! I’m a sucker for a good noodle bowl and new flavor of candy. Green tea Kit Kats are by far the best flavor and I don’t know why that flavor hasn’t caught on in America.
enjoying a green tea Kit Kat at Narita airport

In Tokyo I want to eat at Sukiyabashi Jiro. This sushi spot was featured on Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations and is supposed to have the best sushi in the world. I can’t wait to try all the fresh fish and have a true Japanese sushi experience. It’s one of the hardest restaurants to get a reservation so I might as well book it now!

the best sushi in the world?

Now I may sound like I’m living in a fantasy with this, but I also want to swim in the pool at the Park Hyatt Tokyo. This is the hotel from Lost in Translation and I love the scene with Bill Murray going for a dip with the Tokyo skyline surrounding him.

what a magical pool!
I love big cities and enjoy the chaos of swarms of people, bright lights and sounds. From what I’ve read, Kabukichō has more than 3,000 bars and sounds like a crazy spot for a night out.
Kabukichō District 
 From my past experiences in Asia, there is always a lot of culture shock and I like that. I can’t wait to attempt to navigate the Tokyo subway system and wander aimlessely for my next bowl of noodles. Next time I am in the airport in Japan I’m actually going to exit the terminal and let myself get lost in this electric city. 

1 comment:

  1. Give me a shout if you're heading there. I'd like to tag along, despite the world-famous low overhead. I'd be the tallest dude in Tokyo!

    ReplyDelete