Sunday, May 5, 2013

Dream Destination - Everest Base Camp


Three words. Everest Base Camp. I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t want to be on this trip with me because I’m gonna be grumpy and whiny for a big part of it. But I know how good I’m going to feel afterwards.


Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster may steer some away from pursuing a trip to Everest, but it was Krakauer’s passion for training and vivid descriptions of the journey that inspired me.

I secretly like a physical challenge. I was a competitive gymnast and springboard diver for years, plus a recreational rock climber.  Coming home from a tough workout with my hands torn up and my body aching is my idea of fun. Everest Base Camp would beat me up and I’m ok with that.

Guided trips are available and in my opinion, necessary for such a feat.  REI offers a great tour beginning in Katmandu that’s rated highly from past participants.

base camp
I want to feel the goose bumps on my skin when I see Everest for the first time. I want to experience the local culture and bond with fellow climbers along the way. Most of all, I want to know what it is like to make it to base camp after months of training and preparation. When I make it there I know I’ll be thinking one thing—I can’t wait to come back and make it to the top. 

1 comment:

  1. Everest might be where I draw the too-hardcore line. Just recently there was a huge brawl with climbers and over 100 sherpas because the dumbass climbers said the sherpas didn't know what they were doing. I'd expect to die from exposure, bad rope, or some accident, not in a SHERPA FIGHT.

    ReplyDelete