Monday, May 13, 2013

Avoiding Heat Stroke


My family will never let me live down the time I had heat stroke at the Roman Forum on vacation. I remember feeling dizzy and I could barely stand up, and then my Dad rushing to my side before I nearly fell over. This was many years ago, but some things never change—I don’t do well in heat.

Fast-forward about ten years and I’m on the island of Koh Samui in Thailand. After a long day of international travel the day before, I was now standing in the blazing sun with my tour group. The same symptoms set in and I had to be driven back to the hotel immediately. Later in the afternoon my skin broke out into prickly heat and it took a full 24 hours for me to feel normal again.

Luckily, I’ve learned a thing or two since then. For those of you that also melt in hot weather, here are some of my tips to beating the heat:

Evian mist
·      Evian mist may seem like overpriced water. I assure you this product is a lifesaver. I always keep a travel-sized container in my purse when I feel my face and body overheating. A couple of sprays leave me feeling cool and refreshed.
·      Salty snacks and fluids are a necessity. If I’m sweating and dehydrated, it’s a bad combination. Salt and water (or an electrolyte drink) keep nausea and light-headedness at bay. I no longer wait until I’m ready to pass out before acquiring these items; they are always tucked away in my bag.
nothing fancy, just baby powder

·      Powder. I always get made fun of for powdering myself before I get dressed in hot weather, but it does the trick. My skin is prone to heat rash and if I put powder on my skin and chest after a shower, I stay much dryer and my skin doesn’t bother me.

floppy hat
·      I have very pale skin that burns easily so a floppy hat is another requirement. I can tuck my hair underneath it and shade my porcelain skin from the harsh effects of the sun and look fashionable (?) at the same time.
·      Proper clothing is another one of my secrets. Long, flowing skirts and light colors are key to staying cool. I stay away from tight jeans, leggings, or any other fabric that will hold in sweat and stick to me. 


While I may never thrive in a hot environment, at least I can survive.  Does anyone else have tips for staying cool?





1 comment:

  1. If I'm going to end up as Farmer Jack on some acreage south of here, I might have to do better than my Pendleton and get a real wide-brimmed farmer hat for when I'm, you know, farming.

    ReplyDelete