Friday, April 26, 2013

What I wasn't expecting!


When I arrived at my school in Thailand I encountered something that wasn’t covered during orientation.   Apparently I would be the butt of a never-ending and confusing joke throughout my time here.  Nearly every day someone would point or even poke my stomach and ask me if I was pregnant. 

I was dumbfounded the first time it happened.  I was shopping in small store in my neighborhood when a woman out of nowhere touched my stomach and just said, “baby?".  I was horrified and immediately thought all the rice and noodles had deposited into my midsection after only a week.  After a careful self-examination in the mirror and noticing all my clothes were in fact getting looser, I was confused. 

I chalked that experience up to a misunderstanding and went about my business.   But then it happened again.  I was teaching one of my first groups of students and I found several of them whispering about me and motioning towards my stomach.  “Teacher, baby?”, they would ask.  I would see students in the hallway and get poked in the stomach regularly and questioned if I was having a baby.  I couldn’t figure it out.  Heck, I had students that weighed quite a bit more than me!
 
how I felt
On one trip to Chiang Mai with friends I got some surprising news at the breakfast table after a night out partying.  I was telling everyone about people in my town thinking I was pregnant.  My friend then told me that our tuk tuk driver the night before asked my friends if I was pregnant!  I couldn’t believe it.  I was even wearing a mini leopard print dress that would hardly cover up a baby bump. 

To this day I still can’t figure it out.  Some of my Thai coworkers tried to tell me it was just a joke, but none of my other girlfriends were experiencing what I went through.  I came to laugh at it towards the end and joke back with people, but I never experienced anything like in any of my other travels.  I arrived back in Chicago with a thicker skin, a quicker knack for comebacks, and of course, a flat stomach! 

1 comment:

  1. I, too, have absolutely no idea how or why all that nonsense went on.

    Oh rite, the other day I told someone about you getting mistaken for Kim Kardashian and someone asking for your autograph. It'd be like people asking me to sign stuff, thinking I'm Ben Affleck!

    ReplyDelete